“You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust something- your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.”~Steve Jobs
1. Patience- Good things take time. Patience is truly a virtue. Patience is everything. It is your sanity, and the difference between a good day and a bad day. Kids are kids, life is life, relationships are what they are, but the one thing that keeps you through and onto the better is patience. Practice makes perfect, and practicing patience is invaluable.
noun(I would argue that it is more of a verb)
1. the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.
2. Freedom- You always have a choice. Everyday you choose to go to work, you choose how to live your life, you choose the impact you will have on others, just like it is a choice to continue loving those you love. No matter what your situation is, you have the choice about how you will act in the situation. In the moment, you may feel like you don’t, but the reality is, you do. Choice is freedom, and freedom is the ability to choose. Never feel like you are stuck.
“It’s just to say that the choice is yours. At certain moments in life, you don’t necessarily have a lot of choices, and they are painful perhaps, but they exist. In the end, you alone decide how you live: you always have the choice, and it’s good to keep that in mind…The more you go through life, the more you get rid of the beliefs that limit you, the more choice you have. And choice is freedom.”
~Excerpt taken from The Man Who Wanted to Be Happy
3. Some Rules are Meant to Be Broken- Some rules are stupid and you shouldn’t follow them. There are also rules that would be best not to break, so bend them.
“If I had followed all the rules, I would never have gotten anywhere.”
4. Perseverance– Life is challenging at times, but anything that is worth it, is hard at some point. You can and will persevere through it. The key is to never give up. Good things take time, and if we quit every time we fell, we would never go anywhere.
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.”
5. Mindset– I recently had a dream about a clown who was hysterically laughing at me. He said, “Kase, don’t your understand? Life is all about the highs and the lows…. the highs and the lows. You are the one who decides how to deal with them.” Your mind has a huge impact on the way you view your current reality. The clown was right, you decide how you are going to ride the highs and the lows of life.
“You just can’t live that negative way. You know what I mean. Make way for the positive day. Cause it’s a new day…”
6. What Works For One Person, Does NOT Work For Everyone– Everyone is different. We learn differently, think differently, behave differently, and react differently. Just like no two countries are the same, one of the most amazing things about people is that no two people are the same either. Never expect what works for one person to work for everyone else.
“Always remember that your are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.”
7. Don’t Take People For Granted- There are people in your life that you assume will always be there, and that is not always the case. Treasure the ones you love, show them you love them, value them, and always treat them with kindness. No ifs, ands, or buts. You are responsible for your actions towards others, no matter what the situation or how you are feeling.
“People say you don’t know what you had until you lost it, but the truth is, you knew what you had, you just thought you’d never lose it.”
8. Sometimes it’s Ok Not to Give a Fuck What People Think- I am not one who usually likes to post, or speak, profanities however, I have learned that sometimes it is not only ok, but imperative to not give a fuck about what people think. Sometimes, you just got to let the shit role off.
“What other people think of you is not your business. If you start to make that business your business, you will be offended for the rest of your life.”
~ Deepak Chopra
9. Relationships Are All That Matter in the End- Relationships with the people in your life seem to be the only thing that truly matters. Jobs, stuff, money, come and go, but the relationships you have with people make an impact that last a lifetime.
“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
10. Balance– Work hard. Play hard.
“All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy,
All play and no work makes Jack a mere toy.”
11. Anything is Possible- Tout est possible. Life can throw you curve balls and challenges that seem impossible, but you alone decide what is possible and how you are going to live your life. Don’t accept the limitations people set for you. More importantly, don’t believe the limitations you place upon yourself. You can do what you want to do.
“Au milieu de l’hiver, j’apprenais enfin qu’il y avait en moi un été invincible.”